CSI Advising Center | New Students

Steps to becoming a CSI Student:

Where do I start?

To become a CSI student, start here.

Placement Testing

All degree-seeking students, high school students taking courses on campus or at one of the off-campus centers, and non degree-seeking students taking a math or English course, must take the CSI placement test before registering at the College of Southern Idaho. The test measures a student's ability in a number of areas, including math, reading and writing. Your scores on the exam will determine the classes for which you should register. For information about taking the COMPASS test, visit the Campus Testing Center in the Academic Development Center on the second floor of the Meyerhoeffer Building.

Responsibilities of first-year students:

Although advisors are available to help with decisions, students are ultimately responsible for their own choices. During the first year, there are several ways in which students can enhance their success in college.

back to top

Who is my advisor?

You may find out who your advisor is and how to contact them by choosing one of the options below or contact us.

  • The Advising Center provides advising services for all students who have not chosen a major, have declared Liberal Arts as a major, or are entering their first semester.
  • Once you make a decision regarding your major course of study, you should see the major advisor over your area.

back to top

How do I know when to meet with my advisor?

It is recommended that you meet with your advisor at least once a semester to discuss registration.

back to top

How do I make an appointment with an advisor?

The Advising Center operates on a “walk-in” basis. The best way to schedule time with your "major" advisor is to contact them either by phone or e-mail to make an appointment.

back to top

Registering for Classes

You are encouraged to meet with your advisor frequently throughout the year to ensure that you are meeting requirements for graduation. This is especially important prior to registering for classes each semester.

How do I Register for Classes

back to top

Veterans Services

The College of Southern Idaho provides Veterans Services for students needing assistance with the use of their educational benefits and academic/vocational planning.

back to top

Student Disability Services

Student Disability Services provides assistance to students with documented disabilities regarding equal access, accommodation and general support.

back to top

International Students Services

The International Student Services Office offers a variety of support services for international students.

back to top

CSI Off-campus Centers

Advising is available at the College of Southern Idaho’s off-campus centers
in Mini-Cassia.

back to top